Tuesday 24 May 2016

Seat Belt Working

Seat belts are also known as safety belts which are designed to safeguard a passenger from getting seriously injured in the event of a collision. The basic idea is to prevent the occupant from being thrown towards the windshield or dashboard.

Law of motion:

Newton’s first law of motion states that “Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.” This means that when we (as passengers) are travelling in a car at a particular speed, then we will continue to move forward at that same speed even after brakes are applied due to the momentum our body gains. The momentum is higher if there is a collision and hence our body is thrown in front and we get seriously injured.

If a car is travelling at 60 kmph, then everything in the car is in inertia. If the car hits a pole on the road, then the car abruptly stops, but the occupants in the car will be hurdled in front due to the inertia that they carry. Seat belts act against this inertia to slow us down.

Three Point Retractable Lap and Shoulder Seat Belts:

This is the most commonly used seat belt system for passenger cars worldwide.



Seat Belts Working (Retractor mechanism):

This is the most commonly used mechanism in seat belts. The retractor mechanism uses a spool as its central element. The spool is attached to one end of the webbing. A spring is available inside the retractor that provides a rotational force.



When we pull the webbing (fabric belt) out, the spool rotates in anti-clockwise direction. The rotation of spool also rotates the attached spring in the same direction. The spring will resist the twisting motion and will want to return to the original shape. As soon as we release the webbing, the spring untwists itself in clockwise direction and therefore the spool also rotates in clockwise direction until there is no more slack in the webbing.

The Retractor Locking Mechanism:

In the event of a collision, the retractor has a locking mechanism that stops the spool from rotating. The basic idea of a locking system is to lock the spool from rotating in order to prevent the occupant from being thrown towards the dashboard.

The locking mechanism nowadays uses two sensors to lock the spool. The first is the vehicle deceleration sensor that detects any sudden deceleration in the vehicle and the second is the webbing sensor to detect any violent pull outs of the webbing.  

A centrifugal clutch system is used to lock the spool. When the spool rotates slowly, the centrifugal lever doesn’t pivot at all. When there is a violent rotation of the spool, the lever’s centrifugal force overcomes the spring force and the clutches get locked with the teeth of the spool. The video will clearly show you how this works.
         



Pretensioners:

A conventional seat belt locking mechanism will only lock the rotation of the spool. A pretensioner will actually pull the belt in once the car comes to an abrupt stop. Therefore, it helps move the occupants in the opposite direction of the momentum that tends to carry them forward.



Modern day pretensioners use pyrotechnics to pull in the belt. It consists of a separate gas chamber with an igniter material. When the sensor detects collision, the igniter material is ignited by passing electric current through it. The collision is detected by a central processor which then sends the electric current to the igniter. The ignition releases gases at a huge pressure which pushes the piston upwards. A rack gear is provided at the top of the piston which moves up and engages with the spool gear and rotates the spool forcefully to pull the belt inside.  

Another angle of the pre-tensioner


Load Limiter:

In very violent crashes, seat belts can incur serious damages on the occupants, especially the old people who cannot take much load on their rib cages. The harder the impact of collision, the harder will be the force of the seat belt to stop the occupant.

The basic idea of introducing a load limiter is to limit the force of the pretensioner on the occupants. Load limiter allows the belt or webbing to extend a bit more when a great deal of impact is applied on it. The best way to achieve this is by integrating a torsion bar with the retractor mechanism. The torsion bar is attached to the locking mechanism on one end and the spool on the other end.

When the impact force is less, the torsion bar will be steady and will allow the spool to be locked along with the locking mechanism. When the impact is very high, then the force will twist the torsion bar slightly, thus allowing the spool to rotate and extend the webbing a bit more.


Seat belts work in combination with the airbags and hence it is necessary that the airbags deploy in order to save the occupant from injuries.

Learn about airbags in this link:

38 comments:

  1. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. I came into aware of new professional blog and I am impressed with suggestions of author.
    ตัดแว่น

    ReplyDelete
  2. Detailed and descriptive articles written in this blog is really very helpful for me as well as for other who seeking such kind of knowledge. It is definitely going to become useful in coming future.
    มือถือ แท็บเล็ต

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gained new knowledge from well written content of this blog. It is showing some different kind of strategy to keep work better and improve with every new assignment. Gracefully written blog
    HPE ProLiant DL80 Gen9

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is very informative. Eating mindfully has been very hard for people these days. It's all because of their busy schedules, work or lack of focus on themselves. As a student I must admit that I have not been eating mindfully but because of this I will start now. It could help me enjoy my food and time alone. Eating mindfully may help me be aware of healthy food and appreciating food.
    เทคนิคการขายของ

    ReplyDelete
  5. A blog must be connected to the person in need. It is really important to understand the actual feel of such necessity and the essence of objective behind it. Author must give proper time to understand every topic before writing it.
    หลอด led

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somewhere the content of the blog surrounded by little arguments. Yes it is healthy for readers. They can include this kind of language in their writing skill as well as while group discussion in college.
    Divergence ขาลง

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform.
    Cisco UCS C220 M4

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    ป้ายสินค้า

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    Forex เปิด ปิด กี่โมง

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always replied to this blog post and its been a long time since I came into knowledge of this blog. One of my friend’s suggestion worked for me and I am still regular to read every post of this blog.
    ร้าน ขาย แม่เหล็ก แรง สูง

    ReplyDelete
  11. A blog must be connected to the person in need. It is really important to understand the actual feel of such necessity and the essence of objective behind it. Author must give proper time to understand every topic before writing it.
    วิเคราะห์ธุรกิจ

    ReplyDelete
  12. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.
    เรียนภาษาอังกฤษ

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad that I saw this post. It is informative blog for us and we need this type of blog thanks for share this blog, Keep posting such instructional blogs and I am looking forward for your future posts.
    ยาแก้กรดไหลย้อน

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    ตลาด forex

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post is providing some really good information. I liked its essence and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts about this blog and its much more helpful for us .
    CFD คืออะไร

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    การ เล่น forex

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance.
    ฮั้วลักเซียมดีจริงไหม

    ReplyDelete
  18. Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us . We read your blog , share most useful information in blog . Thanks for share your blog here .
    อยากเรียนต่อต่างประเทศ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform.
    รับซื้อรถติดไฟแนนซ์

    ReplyDelete
  20. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.
    Dell Media Tape Cartridge for LTO6

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.
    exness โกง

    ReplyDelete
  22. On their own, My own loved one and also i find do not bought genuine merchandise see cloak. I truly do on the other hand figure out how difficult can browbeat these kinds of unmarked. Encourage an individual pertaining to speaking about info about methods to quickly milestone this kind of enormous selection. Gap Forex คืออะไร

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job.Elia & Ponto

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    make your own shirt

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always replied to this blog post and its been a long time since I came into knowledge of this blog. One of my friend’s suggestion worked for me and I am still regular to read every post of this blog.
    loopbaancoach amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your post is providing some really good information. I liked its essence and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts about this blog and its much more helpful for us .
    รับผลิตเสื้อโปโล

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about This topic. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.
    รับผลิตกระเป๋าผ้า ลดโลกร้อน

    ReplyDelete
  28. I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here.
    โรงงานเสื้อโปโล

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am regular to check every post of this blog as well as its other supportive and knowledgeable informative blog post. I appreciate efforts of owner to deliver such valuable information to people.
    big c คูปอง

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey, It really is incredibly fantastic and informative website. Good to discover your site Very well article! I’m simply in love with it.
    t shirt design

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance.
    canvas bag

    ReplyDelete
  32. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful.
    โค้ด ส่วนลด pomelo

    ReplyDelete
  33. I found this blog after a long time which is really helpful to let understand different approaches. I am going to adopt these new point to my career and thankful for this help.
    custom polo shirts

    ReplyDelete
  34. I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here.
    apron

    ReplyDelete
  35. A great post for spares, Thanks for sharing this post. Because it's all information is really helpful for all us.

    Cummins Intercooler Boots

    ReplyDelete
  36. Greetings, I think your web site could be having internet browser compatibility issues. Whenever I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, wonderful website!
    kệ tivi gỗ

    ReplyDelete
  37. Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this website needs much more attention. I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the advice!
    bàn ăn gỗ

    ReplyDelete
  38. Special mention to the many spam comments here, which are all so polite and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete